Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Marathon Pace Run #1

I woke up this morning feeling pretty much like crap. I had a sore throat and a cough, my chest was all congested and I was tired from being up all night with coughing fits. But... my legs, feet and ankles felt great so I decided to suck it up and go out for my run anyway.

The Good
My run felt great. I started off with a mile warmup and then kicked it up to a tempo pace, or what I thought was my 7:40 marathon pace. I had my Nike+ on, which I had calibrated yesterday to help me hold a relatively steady pace. I had mentally calculated a route to what I thought was going to be 6 miles long as I ran my warmup, and I was pretty close, coming in at 6.33 (longer is always better, I say) and other than my hamstring getting tight at the end, it felt pretty decent. And the hamstring was tight, not painful - no sharp pains like I was having last week.

The Bad
My Nike+ sucked - the calibration was completely off. It basically told me that I only ran 7.5 miles when I ran closer to 8. It told me my pace was around an 8:07 average, when it was more like 7:45. And for my marathon pace piece, it kept telling me I was running an 8:00-8:05 when I was really closer to 7:32. Luckily for myself, I decided to do a couple time checks and hit the lap button on my watch as well as using the Nike+ just to make sure. So I had two sections of 2.7 miles each at 7:31 pace, and the final section of about .9 miles at 7:15 pace (most of this was downhill though).

The Ugly
I still feel like crap right now but need to stay at work because I have a big meeting all day on a project that I am the lead on. Ugh.

Easy runs for the next two days and then a 10 mile long run on Saturday. I am debating whether to drive up to the marathon course to run the 10 miler there or not.

All in all, I was really happy with today's run (Nike+ aside - I may have to splurge for a Garmin. My birthday is Friday so maybe I'll make it my present to myself =)

1 comment:

  1. I love my Garmin. Many a friend has dropped the Nike for a Garmin. Highly recommend...

    ReplyDelete