Friday, July 16, 2010

Loosening up

My hamstring(s) have been really tight lately and I havent really figured out why. Yesterday's run was just brutal. They hurt for almost the full 7 miles. After the run I stretched for about 15 minutes and then I iced them up last night.

Today they weren't as bad. But I can't figure out if it is because I stretched, because I iced them last night, or the third reason - I have taken a few days off from barefoot running.

For now I am going to go with it being that I have stretched and iced them up, but still wonder whether it is the barefoot running that caused the tightness in the first place. I dont want to stop running barefoot and have been happy with my progress over the past three weeks, but even more so I dont want to hinder my marathon training. I will stop barefoot running if I think it is getting in my way of running a solid marathon in the Fall.

So I'll give the barefoot running one more week. I plan to take the weekend off anyway to rest up some foot pain I had a few days ago. On monday I will ease back to about a mile barefoot again. But this time I will continue to ice and stretch my quads and calves every day. If all goes well, the aches and pains will go away and I'll be on track again.

Long run of 12 miles tomorrow - going to call Jeanne to see if she wants to struggle through it with me. This will be the longest run so far in my Hanson Training Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment